from epicurious & Bon Appetit magazine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 pound round, flank or skirt steak, cut into 1/4-inch-thick, long narrow strips
- 3/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn, cooked according to package directions, drained
- 1 jalapeño chili, minced with seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Add steak to skillet and stir until no longer pink, about 1 minute. Return onion and pepper to skillet. Add corn, jalapeño, cumin and chili powder and stir until heated through. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Remove from heat and mix in cilantro. Transfer steak mixture to heated bowl and keep warm.
Cook tortillas over gas flame or electric burner until they just begin to color. Transfer to napkin-lined basket.
Serve tortillas, steak mixture, cheese, tomatoes and sour cream separately, so diners can assemble tacos at the table.
black eye pea salsa
- 1 can black eye peas, drained & rinsed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- lots of cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
combine all. cover & refrigerate. allow to sit overnight. serve with tortilla chips.
vodka rosemary lemonade fizz
- 1 c. lemon juice
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 c. vodka
- club soda
bring lemon juice, sugar, and rosemary to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. cool completely, about 1 hour. discard rosemary sprigs.
fill 8 glasses halfway with ice. divide syrup (about 2 tablespoons each) among glasses and add vodka (1 tablespoon each). top off with club soda.